Sign Up Now!
Sessions Start September 11, 2019
The Snoqualmie Citizens Academy is a seven-week course offered to Snoqualmie residents so they can get a first-hand look at how city government works. There is no charge for the sessions, which are led by Snoqualmie city leadership and department directors. Sessions are informal, interactive, and a lot of fun!
Sign up by emailing Jodi Warren, City Clerk, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 425-888-8016.
Welcome and Introductions
Wednesday, September 11, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- History: Learn about Snoqualmie’s history along with a look to the future.
Presenter: Dave Battey, Official Snoqualmie Historian
- A Political Perspective: Presenter: Mayor Matt Larson
- Mock City Council Meeting: Participate as council members and/or the public.
Facilitator: Jodi Warren, City Clerk
Wednesday, September 18, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Parks Division: Learn about the City’s expansive parks and trails system and the people who maintain it.
- Shuttle Tour: Visit City Parks Facilities
Public Works Division
Wednesday, September 25, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Public Works: Explore city infrastructure, streets, water, and wastewater. This is more fun than you might think!
- Shuttle Tour: Visit City Public Works Facilities
Saturday, September 28, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Police Department: Learn the many ways the Snoqualmie Police Department protects and serves the Snoqualmie and North Bend communities.
Presenter: Police Chief Perry Phipps
- This session is held on a Saturday at the Police Station, 34825 SE Douglas St, where participants get a hands-on tour and enjoy lunch with Police Chief Phipps.
Fire and Emergency Management
Wednesday, October 2, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Fire and Emergency Management: Gain insights into protecting life and property, and managing disasters. Presenter: Fire Chief Mark Correira
- This session is held at the Fire Station, 37600 SE Snoqualmie Parkway, where participants get a tour of the Fire Station Facilities.
Community Development: Planning & Building
Wednesday, October 9, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Planning Division: Examine the City’s long-range planning, land use management, zoning, environmental policy, floodplain management, and the development review process. Presenter: Mark Hofman, Director, Community Development
- Building Division: "The Silent Defenders" - Includes Building Code Enforcement information about fire protection, prevention, and suppression related to building inspections. Presenter: John Cooper, Building Official
Legal and Finance
Wednesday, October 16, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Municipal Law: Learn about the authority of cities, type of government, separation of Mayor and City Council powers, legal mandates, open government, meetings, and the Public Records Act. Presenter: Bob Sterbank, City Attorney
- Finance 101: Learn about where city revenues come from, where property taxes go, how tax dollars support city services and programs, and budget impacts.
Presenter: Robert Hamud, Finance Director
Monday, October 28, 7:00 p.m.
Upon completion of the Citizens Academy, participants are presented with certificates at a Snoqualmie City Council Meeting.